Anse Kerlan, also known as Petite Anse Kerlan is a magnificent beach on Praslin Island, Seychelles. With crystal-clear turquoise waters, soft white sand, and lush tropical vegetation, it’s perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and snorkeling. Visitors can also enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and nearby islands. It’s a must-visit destination for those seeking a tranquil and natural beach experience.
A brief overview
To get to Petite Anse Kerlan, visitors can take a domestic flight or ferry from Seychelles International Airport to Praslin Island. From there, they can rent a car or take a taxi to the northwest coast, which is about 20 minutes away from the Baie Ste Anne Jetty. Alternatively, visitors can take the public bus or arrange for hotel transfers with the Constance Lemuria Resort or other hotels in the area. Bikes can also be rented on Praslin Island for cycling to Petite Anse Kerlan. For those who enjoy hiking, it’s possible to reach the beach on foot from nearby areas, although the terrain can be challenging in some parts.
There is no entrance fee to access Petite Anse Kerlan beach but for visitors on foot a previous authorization from the Constance Lemuria resorts is needed because to access the beach is needed to cross their property. Moreover, visitors who wish to use the facilities of the Resort, such as restaurants or beach chairs, may need to pay an additional fee.
When to Go
The best time to visit Petite Anse Kerlan beach is from May to September when the weather is dry and sunny. During this period, the water is calm, making it perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and other water activities. However, visitors should note that the beach may be busier during this period, especially in July and August. From October to April, the weather may be more humid, and the sea conditions may be more rough and unpredictable, although this period offers lower tourist numbers and a more serene atmosphere.
What to Bring
Visitors to Petite Anse Kerlan beach should consider bringing sunscreen with a high SPF, swimwear, sunglasses, a hat, and towels. Snorkeling gear can be rented from the Constance Lemuria Resort, but visitors may prefer to bring their own. It’s also essential to bring drinking water and some snacks or a packed lunch, as food options at the beach may be limited. Lastly, visitors may want to bring a camera or smartphone to capture the stunning scenery.
Tips for Visiting
One special tip for visiting Petite Anse Kerlan beach is to take precautions when swimming. While the beach is known for its clear and calm waters, visitors should still exercise caution and avoid swimming too far from shore. It’s also important to be aware of sea urchins, which can be found in the shallow waters close to the shore. Wearing protective footwear or simply keeping an eye out for them can help avoid painful injuries. Additionally, visitors should be respectful of the Resort’s private property and avoid accessing areas beyond the public beach without permission.
Things to Do
While Petite Anse Kerlan is a relatively small beach, there are still several things to do and enjoy. Here are a few ideas:
- Swimming: The beach’s clear and calm waters make it perfect for swimming, especially during the dry season from May to September.
- Snorkeling: With vibrant marine life in the waters, visitors can rent snorkeling equipment and explore the underwater world.
- Sunbathing: Visitors can relax on the beach’s soft white sand and soak up the sun’s warmth.
- Beach sports: The beach is ideal for playing beach sports such as volleyball, frisbee, and football.
- Resort facilities: The Constance Lemuria Resort offers various facilities and activities for visitors, including restaurants, bars, and a golf course.
- Hiking: Visitors who enjoy hiking can explore the nearby trails, which offer stunning views of the beach and the surrounding area.
- Photography: With its picturesque scenery, the beach provides an excellent backdrop for photography and is perfect for capturing memories of the visit.
Where to have lunch
The Constance Lemuria Resort located on Petite Anse Kerlan beach offers several dining options for visitors. Guests can choose from several restaurants and bars that serve a variety of local and international cuisine. Some popular options include:
- The Nest: A beachside restaurant that offers a relaxed atmosphere and a menu featuring fresh seafood and Creole-inspired dishes.
- Diva: An elegant restaurant that serves gourmet dishes and fine wines in a sophisticated setting.
- Legend Restaurant: A buffet-style restaurant that offers a wide range of dishes from around the world.
- Takamaka Terrace: A rooftop bar that offers stunning views of the Indian Ocean and serves cocktails and light bites.
Visitors can also opt to bring their own food and have a picnic on the beach or explore other nearby dining options in the area.